I learned two things: that dead, brown grass makes a wonderful backdrop. And, how to create a sunny glow in my images, thanks to a tutorial over at
Everyday Elements. Tell me what you think. Are the colors too blah, does the background wash her out, is something off? I can't decide if I dislike this shot, or I really like it! Minus the strange face she's making! ;) Also, how do you make the eyes pop in a backlit shot? Just curious!! Your critiques and comments are so much appreciated and always welcomed. You all have helped me grow immensely!!
(1/320s; f/4.5; ISO: 200; focal length: kit lens--28.1mm)
Also, check out what the others have learned over at...
Thanks for the great link; they have some really good info over there. I'm no expert, but I don't think the background is too blah because you have the great color in her shirt and eyes, so it draws me to them, so I think it works just fine.
ReplyDeleteChelsea, I often have this same question as little A. is quite fair light Siena. I agree with Kristin that the color in her jacket and her eyes helps make it not too blah. The only thing I would say is that perhaps including more of that colorful jacket or catching her with her face tilted up (so her eyes can more completely be seen) would allow more color to dominate the frame.
ReplyDeleteI love the face she's making - so silly!
Thank you for your feedback on my last photo - very useful and I think you were exactly right!
I like it! Thanks for the tutorial...I'm heading there now. :)
ReplyDeleteI wish I knew more to help! :-( But I do like her ruffled hair and background :o)
ReplyDeleteOh, I really do love this! I plan on checking out that link - thanks! I'm not sure how to edit eyes for backlighting, but I tend to prefer the Pioneer Woman's tutorial for most of my pictures.
ReplyDeleteThis is what I use for my eyes.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thecoffeeshopblog.com/2009/03/coffeeshop-eye-bright-pspse-action.html
As far as lighting up the eyes when backlit in camera, maybe a reflector would help but that is hard when you have a child running around.
I like the softness of the colors in the photo.
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest a reflector as well, but that's probably for more formal shots. Regardless, I think the picture is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI agree that the brown dead grass can be a fun background :O) As far as the eyes being a little brighter you would need to use a reflector when it comes to backlighting. However, I know it is hard for me to carry my reflector around with the kids so if I know I'm going to be shooting some pictures with backlighting I try to wear a white shirt which can act like a reflector :O) Also, if she had turned toward the light you would have been able to get some catchlights. I really like how the sun is lighting her hair :O)
ReplyDeleteher expression is adorable!
ReplyDelete