Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 68

My grandmother passed away last June and my mom, aunt and uncle have worked hard to preserve all her memoirs, trinkets, etc. as they cleaned up her home.  They'll be closing on the house tomorrow, so we went over there for one last time.  It was hard to walk through her house without the little things that I remembered so well from my childhood.  I took pictures throughout, in hopes of capturing the sounds and smells of her house in a photograph.  This was one of my favorites, not because it's a good picture, but because this means so much to me.  My grandparents lived right next door to my great-grandmother.  Every time we'd come back to Texas to visit, I would dash through my grandparents house, out the back door, through this gate and into my great-grandmother's backyard.  I can't tell you how many times I threw open latch or how many of our grandkid hands passed over it. 
(1/200s; f/4.5; ISO: 200; focal length: kit lens--40mm)

14 comments:

  1. I'm imagining the sound of it! Beautiful! I love it just for itself, but mostly for the meaning behind the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah such a good picture sister! gave me chills to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story. I can just hear your laughter and feel your excitement coming through this photo. What a wonderful way to capture and preserve a wonderful memory. I've been sorting through my Mother's things, taking some pictures here and there to try to hang on to some of those images that are so imbedded in my mind. I know what you mean about the smell of them too; it still fills her house when I walk in and I so wish there was some way to bottle that so I could hang on to it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing capture of your childhood and post!! Love the photo, but even more for the meaning behind it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat picture and a fun memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful post, the picture shows your story so well. You should put those pictures in a book and write all your memories so you can pass it on. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy for you that you got to do one last pass through the house before the closing. Lovely picture and sweet sentiments :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to capture a childhood memory. So sorry about the loss of your Grandma. I know it must have been very hard to say goodbye to her home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the photo as a stand alone, but the story behind the photo makes it even more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful story... i can imagine the sights and sounds just from your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chelsea, this is so sweet. That must have been hard to be there for the last time. But how cool that you were able to take pictures. And it's a really neat picture, too. The composition is very interesting.

    In answer to your question, I do use my kit lens most of the time. I only have it and an f/1.8 50mm, and I only use the 50mm for low-light situations or where I want a really large aperture - it's great for those things. Next on my wish list is a telephoto lens:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great way to capture your memories. I love the composition of this photo!

    ReplyDelete